7.9gr vs 8.4gr trajectory?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by nyamazan, May 8, 2019.

1. nyamazan

nyamazan New Member

I’m looking for a flatter trajectory for HFT.

Had a go with AA express but only had around 30 pellets I’d got from someone at the club, bit of a windy day so not perfect conditions. I saw probably less than a quarter of a dot at 45.

Can anyone look on chairgun or a similar program (I’m not too tech savvy) to see if that’s about what’s expected? I’m shooting a TX with a 27 yard zero at around 780 FPS.

Many thanks.

Rod.

2. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    Other factors like scope height play a factor but looking on CG you'll see a drop of about 1.5 mil-dots out to 45yds from a 27yd zero.
    Comparing with an 8.4 it is indeed about a quarter mil difference if that.

3. nyamazan

nyamazan New Member

Thank you for that.

I’m a dot down at 45, so 3/4 with the lighter pellets....around 10mm less.

May help with my poor ranging skills, I’ll give them a go.

4. Jesim1

Jesim1 Active Member

Club:
    BOAC, BGC
    AA express, JSB RS and Falcon AP will all be worth a go to see which suits your rifle, my experience is they all perform well with the AA probably being the more widely accepted by guns I've tried and they are all light pellets.

RAMBO and nyamazan like this.
  5. chrisc

chrisc Lucky git

Club:
    Emley Moor
    I used the 7.9gr for a couple of years when they were mosquito's but had a cluster of horrendous scores in twitchy winds so went back to 8.44's. That was in a PCP but i understand that the 7.9gr do work well in boingers. Ian Taylor shot them for a while but soon went back to 8.44s however, Neil Hague shoots well in FT with them so go figure. They are both shooting PCP's though.

You will find them flatter as they are slightly shorter when compared to a 8.44 and at 7.9gr can legally run around the 825fps mark. I suspect that if you chrono them they will be going 30+fps faster than a 8.44.

nyamazan and Cooper_dan like this.
  6. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

In constant wind the express seemed OK for me in my TX, with some excellent groups in still conditions.
    In twitchy wind much harder to predict. For me it wasn't worth the marginal flatter trajectory. On 8.4's now and don't try to squeeze more than one aim point in the kill. Pick a range and put it in the middle.

nyamazan likes this.
  7. nyamazan

nyamazan New Member

Cooper-dan, exactly what I’m doing...squeezing two points in the kill.

8. Cooper_dan

Cooper_dan Well-Known Member

A better shot than me could probably get away with it. But I think its hard to do this with a springer. Hence I just pick one and go with it

9. C.Eaton

C.Eaton Confirmed Anschutz Nut...

Club:
    Springfield / TEGC
    In still conditions I used to find JSB expresses were very consistent and accurate, but get a twitchy wind and past 45yds they get blown all over the shop which is why I’m now a heavy hoar as they still move in wind but more predictably...

nyamazan likes this.