3D Printed '****** Tail' Butt Hook

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Brian.Samson, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Brian.Samson

Brian.Samson Allowed in Sales Staff Member

Club:
    Pontefract, Doncaster Airgun Range
    The design I've been working on is just about done now and ready to be sent off to the printers.
    I think they've shut down for the holiday's but I've costed the print at around £100. The hook part is by far the most expensive coming in at nearly £40 for that one bit alone, so it may work out more economical and stronger to have a more simple hook made from aluminium.

Anyhoo, here are some renderings.. one as it might look in polished aluminium and a few as it would look if it was made from LEGO :)

Edit: I'm not allowed to say BEAVER on here apparently :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  2. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    Good effort Bri!

If you jointed the hook, maybe out of replicated parts, you'd save on the swept volume. You could also mirror the red parts with a little redesign.

Do they do metal or just plastic?

3. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Cheers Rob, I'm very wet behind the ears at this 3D design stuff but I'm really enjoying having a play.
    For the first test run, I've made the hook a single piece because I'm not sure about the strength, and it was the hardest bit to design and I'm fed up with tweaking it now :D

Someone's suggested getting a silicone mould made up for the hook and casting it in urethane resin to save costs.. don't know much about this stuff, but that might work.

The red bits look quite similar but they're actually quite a bit different - I started with a mirror design and tweaked from there. That probably wouldn't save much money in having it printed anyway.

There's some savings I can make with the printing especially if I was going to print half a dozen, and if I can have an ally hook made up or a resin cast hook I reckon I can get the price down a fair bit.

I suppose at the end of the day though, if the 3D printed version is strong enough to last a season on a springer I reckon it'll be plenty strong enough for any PCP, and even at £100 a pop you're still getting a hook that's almost as adjustable as a Gemini for a quarter of the price (albeit in plastic).

I'm not really looking to start a manufacturing business, just having a play for a bit of fun. Of course if it's a benefit to other shooters that's brilliant too.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  4. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    This is seriously impressive stuff Brian, hats off to you.

5. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    I like....

I'm a gemini fan as have had one for many years...

I have to say though Brian.... I'd be interested in one...

Berty

6. dave croucher

dave croucher ÃŒch bin ein Meister Man

Looks like the Early Learning Centre meets FT (the colouring:):))

Great stuff tho ,im loving this 3d printing !!

7. TheWhiteDragon

TheWhiteDragon Member

lmao.. though it does look really good.

i feel your pain.. i spent time working on a 3d printed case for my CronoPi,
    im working on a project to turn a raspberry pi into a ubah chrono, though i think i have given myself too many features to do when i havent got the basics done yet..

im still working on the programming side, the case design is done and i have a mate who can do me the case.

ill make the details public once its all done for other rpi peoples :)

8. palmanda

palmanda Member

Club:
    Broadland FT
    Well I think it looks the dogs danglies, great job :)

9. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Thanks chaps

The prototype is with the 3D printers now, this isn't being printed on a cheapo home desktop printer, this is being printed on a nylon laser sintering machine costing hundreds of thousands of pounds.

Unfortunately they don't print in metal (although there are machines that do!) and they only print in white nylon so when I get it back I expect it to look very much like the white rendering pic I've attached.

On the plus side, the white nylon lends itself to being dyed really well. I've only tried dying stuff black so far but that goes on very evenly. The only downside with the black dye I'm using (Rit Dye) is that the black has a slight hint of brown in it under certain light so I think I might use some different colours on my prototype.

I've ordered some dark green for the next batch of bushnell turrets I'm having printed at the same time so I might try that, and possibly have some parts in dark brown or even black with a hint of brown :)

The prototype should take about a week to 10 days to come back to me - I'll post some real photo's when it comes in.

I've also had some really encouraging offers of help with the project on the testing, finishing and manufacturing side of things. So hopefully, fingers crossed it won't be too long before I'm able to go into small scale production and you'll be able to buy an inexpensive very adjustable FT specific butt hook.

Once that's working, I plan on making an HFT legal version and a recoiling gun specific version with some built in recoil absorption ( spring loaded of course! :D )

Anyhoo, keep a watch on the thread and thanks again for the support.

Attached Files:

10. TheWhiteDragon

TheWhiteDragon Member

looks very cool, cant wait to see the final product :)

11. Steve

Steve Member

As I said to you at Emley Brian,still can't get my head round it,but looks ace and can't wait to see in the flesh,so to speak.:)

12. Conor

Conor Never been banned from sales Staff Member

Club:
    Back Hill Ballistics; DFTC; Nelson FTC
    It will never work, when it rains the paper will get wet and soggy! :eek:o

13. dave croucher

dave croucher ÃŒch bin ein Meister Man

3d printers 700quid on maplins website if anyone wants their own!

14. SDplinker

SDplinker Pellet testing...yawn

Club:
    CASA - California Airgun Shooters Association
    Mighty impressive

I'd be willing to buy one to give it a go and test out. Let us know when/if available and how much.

-Casey

15. Brian.Samson

Club:
    If anyone does end up buying their own 3D printer and would like any of the model's I've created so far, just drop me a line and I'll send you the STL files that you can print directly for yourself.

16. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Hi Casey,

It'd be brilliant to get your opinion.. keep an eye on the thread for my findings on the prototype - of course the whole thing could still fall flat on it's face.

The really cool thing is that in the future when 3D printers become more commonplace, I'd only need to send you over the STL files. :cool:

Brian

17. SteveP

SteveP Active Member

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers
    Thanks to Brian sending me a copy of the files my dad was able to print the butt hook on his printer, its a lot stronger than I thought it would be. next to fit it and test

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

18. speed

speed jamie

Club:
    emley moor ftc
    looks good, theres plenty of adjustments,

19. Brian.Samson

Club:
    You've got your hands on a prototype before me :(
    I really like it in red as well.

So exciting though, I know it's early days for home 3D printers but the technology is moving really quickly now and it won't be long before print quality and speed improvements mean that you'll be able to print stuff out at the sort of quality you'd expect to see from shop bought packaged goods.

How cool is it going to be when you no longer need to buy bits and bobs for your FT rig, you can just download a design, hit a button and fit the new gadget to your gun the next day :)

It'll be next week before my prototype comes back from the printers, but some interesting news - Andy Calpin has agreed to consult on the design and has put his name down for the first production model (after we've tweaked the design).

20. Brian.Samson

Club:
    Well, I've finally had the print back - there was a bit of a delay at the printers, I guess it might have been them catching up after the Christmas break.

Anyhoo..

WOW... it's fecking awesome!!.. :eek: :eek:

The quality is even better than I was expecting and everything fits together absolutely perfectly! We're talking sub 25 micron accuracy on this thing.. it's bloody awesome!

Here's some photos of the real thing - basically, just taken out of the box fresh from the printers and bolted it all together. I've since had a little play with smoothing bits of it with some sand paper and it comes up really well after some light sanding, there were one or two slightly rough edges straight from the box.

Next step is to dye it (green) and give it a coat of lacquer then fit it to the TX ready for Redfearns on Sunday.

The even better news is that it's not even as thick as my existing hook so I don't need to chop anything off the stock to fit it and it's pretty light - 247g in total including carrier plate. I haven't weighed a Gemini but I'm guessing it's a fair bit lighter.

On the strength side of things it seems really good, I think I'm going to add 2mm to the depth so I can increase the thickness of the base bar and I might increase the thickness of the hook bar too. There's a little bit of flex in it.. I still think it's strong enough, but a bit more strength couldn't hurt.

In terms of fit and adjustability though it's bang on!. I think I pretty much got the design right on my first attempt!, but I'll know for sure once I've shot a couple of winter leagues with it and everyone's had a play.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/307e1p1dzmkyy4j/qDlTlIZrFW

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014