3d parts for field target shooters.

Discussion in 'Useful Links' started by panaman, May 22, 2018.

1. panaman

panaman New Member

Club:
    AOFA
    Last edited: May 22, 2018
    Mel Catalanotto, Adam, wx4p and 2 others like this.
  2. wx4p

wx4p New Member

Nice work, what program do you use for design?

3. panaman

panaman New Member

Club:
    AOFA
    WE are using mostly the following programs.
    Fusion360 , autocad 3d , zwcad 3d and combination.
    The list of parts will be updated shortly.

4. LEE ST

LEE ST Member

Club:
    Pontefract ARC
    very nice work well done.. would like to see something more pistol related ?
    adjustable rear sights for umarex walther cp99 cos the standard ones are no good lol..

SteveC200 likes this.
  5. what barn door

what barn door Now them tin chickens are going to get it....

Club:
    Kingsley
    Nice stuff mate.

6. wx4p

wx4p New Member

I like the new butt hook items since I last checked in, excellent. What orientation do you use for printing to get maximum strength? Parts such as the "links" on edge? Thanks.

7. Panas78

Panas78 New Member

Club:
    AOFA
    Hello,
    I am also one of the team along with panaman.
    One of the tasks i have in mind is to put each stl part of the butt hook with correct orientation ready to print.
    As for the links i had them printed with the upper face of the link lying on the printers bed.
    I use them as extensions to a gehmann buttplate and so far i got no issues.

Apart from correct orientation i use high infill >60% and 6 outer shells for extra strength.
    Suggested materials are PETG or even better nylon.

panaman likes this.
  8. Panas78

Panas78 New Member

Club:
    AOFA
    By the way the butt hook is not yet fully printed and field tested.
    Its work in progress and already had few changes since the first post in thingiverse.
    As always any suggestion for improvement is more than welcome.

sillywizard likes this.
  9. wx4p

wx4p New Member

Thanks! I use PET-G for my printer but since the butthook extension parts are small and relatively inexpensive, I decided to try a service that offers nylon. I'll let you know how it turns out.

10. Pauly5

Pauly5 New Member

Club:
    Wellington Airgunners. (WAG)
    Please excuse my ignorance, but are these files that can be used to print our own parts? I don't have a printer, but could I take these to a printer and get them to print it?

11. wx4p

wx4p New Member

That is correct, the .stl files are used to generate parts. If you don't have a printer, there are services like 3D Hubs: Browse online 3D printing services to locate locals who print for a fee, and there are online print service like shapeways.com and sculpteo.com

12. Pauly5

Pauly5 New Member

Club:
    Wellington Airgunners. (WAG)
    I have ordered one from a local 3D Hub guy. I will be interested to see how it turns out. Very reasonable price too. So I will let you know how I go.

13. wx4p

wx4p New Member

Very pleased with my build of the "Butt Hook Extension 2". It's an excellent design, thanks for sharing!

IMG_20180816_121644.jpg IMG_20180816_121724.jpg

Panas78, panaman and RAMBO like this.
  14. Scarborough shooter

Scarborough shooter Member

Club:
    York
    makes me tempted to buy myself a cheap printer to try it out :)

15. Panas78

Panas78 New Member

Club:
    AOFA
    A cheap printer requires much time and effort to produce an acceptable result.(mine took almost 1-2 months and still going)
    Even pricier models have a learning curve.
    3d printing is far from being a click & print procedure.
    i suggest to avoid frustration and disappointment and use an online service at first . If after that you are still interested to invest time and money to a new hobby (believe me, it will be your new hobby :)) then by all means go ahead.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  16. Mel Catalanotto

Mel Catalanotto Director of Technical Design at Carmelian Ltd

The cheaper printers are very good for prototyping, as Panas 78 said, you will still need to know what you are doing with the printer, set up and material you select.
    Don't forget you will need CAD software to produce STL files, again if you do not know what you are doing it could be months before you produce anything.

Also you pay for what you get too, cheap doesn't mean bargain, you could be pulling your hair out thinking 'if only i spent a little more money'

I use mine for prototypes to prove a designs out prior to spending money on material that could be wasted. Imaging buying 3m's of 100mm x 25mm flat bar, an expensive mistake if you needed it to be 125mm x 30mm flat bar. I would use the material on something else anyway.

Would I use 3D printed parts on my rifle?
    Yes to prove it works and looks OK, but not for everyday use we need parts to be very robust and long lasting.
    It also allows me to show customers what it would look like before cutting any material.
    Some say could you do this here instead of that and obviously say what they like and dislike.

Not all people can visualise orthographic drawings and some cannot see the depth of Solid models on PC screen. Its the eyes and brains thing that are not quite connected correctly.

I could go on for ages as a couple of you know already.

Mel

17. panaman

panaman New Member

Club:
    AOFA
    I partially agree with you Mel, that some parts used directly onto the rifle (not the scope) just like cheek risers , hamsters, scope rings , buttplates
    might not work properly, if made just from platics. In combination with aluminium might be achievable , we experiment on that.

But i totally disagree about other parts not subjected in extreme forces, we have to make a distinction.
    Almost all parts on my scopes are from 3d printed materials. Pointers , sidewheels , oversized turrets , windicators, coasters
    These parts are not subjected in extreme forces and if made well from plastics, are more than adequate robust and long lasting for that purpose.
    The enemy in our sport is mainly heat, so just don't use PLA.

The parts of the above shared link are not just to prove how a part works or how it will look like. These parts are not crap because are free.
    I'm convinced most of these parts are absolutely useful, (we use them in FT) i dare to say advantageous and beneficial IF you use the right printing material and get printed well.
    In addition there are methods to increase plastics durability and sturdiness if this is necessary.(post processing of 3d printed parts)

Plastics will dethrone aluminium just like aluminium did with iron.

Panas78 likes this.
  18. Mel Catalanotto

Mel Catalanotto Director of Technical Design at Carmelian Ltd

Panaman,
    Easy tiger, I didn't say anything was crap chap.
    My preference of what I use, do or purchase is mine alone.

It was would I use it, I prefer not to. If you're happy and so be it.
    It would be like you saying don't by Ford because Mercedes is better.

You need to remember this sport can be expensive and purchasing something to 3d print something is the individuals choice.
    I stated that I use mine to prove something that works and to see what it looks like. Before I cut any material.

The images shown are fantastic examples, I have always found 3D printing fascinating and have used it for my engineering design Degree project. Producing a quick changing extruder while major manufacturers were still used fixed heads. So changing material or colour was a pain in the arse.

It is alright to state materials that people have never heard of before. That last one is new to me.
    Having the budget to have a expensive machine ìs out of reach for me, I would like the large Makerbot.
    The 3D printer and Sintering oven costs over £200,000, this would be a beauty to have.

These forums are to get people together and to share ideas and it's great to see you use your printer for various items.
    It doesn't mean I have to follow or agree with you.
    I like things to be machined and have a machine shop to enable me to do so, or is that wrong too?
    This is in no means to offend anyone, but if you were or did not quite understood what I was discussing then I will not appologise if you got the wrong end of the stick..

I like these designs and items that have been printed and I let people know what I do with my printer and how useful it is to me.

Over and out.

Waldo, Panas78 and panaman like this.