.22 ft ??

Discussion in 'General Airgun Chat' started by Gibbs, Jan 30, 2009.

1. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Does anyone think that a seperate discipline of .22 FT or HFT would be worth a thought? It would be more challenging, it might attract shooters that normally only hunt or plink. The scores would be lower and that would help to attract participation. Any thoughts?

2. springboy

springboy Member

I think there is a .22 class in HFT i may be wrong,but .22 in FT.I tried it once because at the time i wasn't satisfied with the quality of the .177 pellets that were about.(not much has changed)It is ok shooting FT with a .22 but there are certain times where if you need to sneek your pellet through to the target and because of the loopier tradjectory it can hit things on the way to the target.But when a target goes down after being whacked by a .22 it is very stisfisying.

3. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Thanks for the reply, I think .22 HFT would make more sense than .22 FT as HFT was introduced as a more acurate representation of hunting, and .22 is more of a hunting calibre.

4. springboy

springboy Member

Considering the max range of 45y HFT would be more suited to .22 although There aint any rules in FT to suggest you can't but it will be harder against the big boys like Holly:D

5. Gibbs

Gibbs New Member

Yes from my point of view it (.22) would have to be a seperate catergory, otherwise it would be a big dissadvantage.

6. clubshot

clubshot Member

We have a .22 Class in Springer Comps & HFT @ Lea Valley

BOB/R

7. Scooby

Scooby Pete Dutton

There has been a .22" class in HFT since the start :rolleyes:

8. FUBAR

FUBAR New Member

alot of people come into this game with a .22 after a month or so they usually move on to .177 and we all know why so i wont go into it:rolleyes::D

regards FUBAR:)

9. JAGXKRS

JAGXKRS Sparky's Bodyguard

Its cos .177 is better for HFT flatter more accurate :D:D:D and same for hunting :p:p:p:p:eek::eek::eek:

10. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    If the .22 took less wind than a .177 then imo it would work for FT because you can adjust your scope for range and pellet strike whereas in HFT you cant adjust anything once you start the course.

11. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    True, but I suspect the drop out at 50-55 would mean your rangefinding would have to be absolutely bang on to the yard.

12. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    i suppose you would then have to think which was the more predictable factor. Your rangefinding or the wind?
    The .22 drops about an inch more than the .177 from 50-55. Would be interesting to give it a go :)

13. AirArmsDavid

AirArmsDavid Member

Club:
    Kibworth
    I'm shooting .22 in HFT all this year, and have just had a BSA barrel fitted to my Steyr by u.k.neil after visiting John Bowkett and being presented with a Hornet barrel to try out.

Having shot a PB in .22 last year of 51, I took the Steyr out first time at Kibworth's pre-Worlds a few weeks back and shot a dismal 42/60, then on the 1st day of the Worlds 48/60 and the 2nd day 52/60 for a new PB.

BSA barrel is fantastically accurate!

Rangefinding is absolutely critical with .22 and this has to be within a yard or two on some shots. Also, wind moves the pellet roughly twice as much as with a .177 pellet. I'm still using an SR6 scope set on 12x mag and the POI's just fit within the height of the full reticle so that's about three times more holdover/under than with .177.

It's a great challenge! Once I've shot a 60/60 in .22 I'll be off to .177 springer and then .22 springer!!

Pics of BSAteyr .22 here: http://www.picturetrail.com/sfx/album/slideshow/21911147

:)

14. poison dwarf

poison dwarf BANNED

Club:
    tondu /quarry
    I didnt realise the wind affected the .22 much worse than a .177. 35 yds reducers in wind must be a biatch :)