20x50 leupold

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by shaun elliott, Feb 20, 2015.

1. shaun elliott

shaun elliott Active Member

Club:
    pontefract arc
    I'm thinking of upgrading in the summer to a 20x50 leup side wheel competition where`s the best place to get one from and roughly how much I'm I expected to pay and is there any downsides to them any advice would be greatly appreciated .

2. Welsh Wizard

Welsh Wizard Im not improving in Nefta Staff Member

Club:
    Oaktree
    Never owned one but have used / set up for members.

Sold a couple in the last few months, price has bombed on them. One of our members baught one for the going rate of £900 a year or so back, a couple of months ago it sold for £600, that was the 2nd one to sell for £600 in a week from our club.
    seems sightrons are replacing them?

Did see one that was really bad optically, but think it was tampered with as it was very un luepold like. Usually the optics are superb.
    Very nice snappy focus on the ones I have used, excellent range finders

Supposed to shift in heat, but cant confirm from use. Have heard around 10 and 20 degress shifts.
    A scope you need to learn.
    Some have flat spots in the focus around 14 -20 yards, so need to check before buying.

3. shaun elliott

Club:
    pontefract arc
    Thanks for heads up wizard

4. buzz

buzz Team Gilly

Club:
    Castle FTC
    Will you be selling your nikko?

5. shaun elliott

Club:
    pontefract arc
    No I won't be getting rid of my nikko I'll put it on my ripley and then my Burris can go back on my tx200 sorry

6. TonyF

TonyF SWEFTA FT Champion 2006

Club:
    Mendip, East Devon, Avon Hawks and Oaktree.
    I have one that I might sell for £650 but needs to be face to face only as I don't really want to post. Can bring to GP1 or any SWEFTA shoot for people to try before they buy.

7. luddite

luddite I Love HFT

They take 12 months to learn as temperature shift is quite severe. :eek:

Users have a thermometer attached to the scope so they can work out how to adjust.

Set up in the morning and by afternoon all the settings will have changed.

I've had three but the headaches made me give up and move on to the Competition Series 40x which is far more predictable. :eek:o

If you do buy one, good luck. :D

8. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    The Scope

I have had mine for about 15 years . i sold it and bought it back . yes it takes a while to get used to em . but when you do it is worth it . i think as far as i know it is the lightest quality side wheel scope . don't leave it in the sun . if out in the open i put my hat over it when not shooting . i use 35 mag on it for everything . ranging , kneelers , standers , sitters . there are some duff ones out there , so take care . the biggest problem would be if it needed to go back to leup . they would take out the 2 X . which of course doubles it . no good without it . mind you not much does go wrong . yes the sightron is a better range finder . but not by much and it weighs all up over two pounds . would you want a bag of sugar on top of your rifle ??? HOLLY:D

PS the only other scope i would consider is a 60 mag march . anybody got one for sale .:cool:

PSS yes you nikko will do:) at least as good a job of range finding as the leup but it won't give as much pleasure to look through .

9. Jon

Jon Member

Seems your asking about two entirely different scopes. Comp Series still made whereas 20-50 ceased 10 years ago, I had the last **** Thomas did mid June 2005.

Load of proverbial the 20-50 moving in heat, mine never did used all year round - 6 to 100+ there again it was the newer VX3 that came out Jan 2004.
    The older common Vari X 3 won two world champs 2001 and 2003.

10. baldini

baldini Member

Club:
    Wendover
    20/50

I agree, set them up mid temp and no problem, in my opinion very underestimated !

11. Steve

Steve Member

Agree with the two posts above,I've had 3 still got 1,a Gen2 ret.Mine all only showed movement when got to -6 one year,but how many scopes wouldn't.Certainly wouldn't say they were a snappy focus as Simon said,although 1 of mine was noticeably snappy compared to the other two.
    Great glass,lightweight a purchase you wouldn't regret,I can bring mine to a shoot for you to have a play with if you want.
    OH and flat spot on mine was 16-18 yds all 3 the same

Last edited: Mar 8, 2015
  12. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Lupe

Nick jenkinson used to reparralx em to 15 yards , which i think is about right . after that you use the 50 foot adapter . very easy to do , all you need is a cut down steel ruler . ??? HOLLY

13. Jon

Jon Member

They all varied like any other scope, some ok, some good and some stunners.
    Mine topped out at 58 yards and came down to 15 yards 2ft. 50ft adaptor 14 yards 1 ft down to 8 ish yards.
    Many said mine snapped, sold 4 years ago lives in Hungary.

14. Dave Ramshead

Dave Ramshead England HFT Team squatter

Club:
    Rivington Riflemen
    Had no complaints with mine, set up in spring, didnt notice any shift while i owned it. A really nice thing to use, got mine off nick j so it came ready to go :)

15. suds

suds Senior member

Club:
    Wendover ARC
    I had 3 20x50 and used them for about 8 - 10 years, one back in the box now. Superb scope but you have got to give it time to learn them, had no problems with any of mine but they do shift in temperature, so don't leave in direct sunlight and you will not have a problem