2011 BFTA Team Championships

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by JamesO, Oct 28, 2010.

1. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

I know it isn't even 2011 but the sap will soon be rising and we'll be at the first GP of the season.

Does anyone, in particular team shooters, have any opinions on the format of the team event?

Of course this isn't anything official but it might come up with something that will suit all parties involved. In other words what could be done to make the team event attractive to all teams and make it more competitive?

I have a few ideas including bigger teams and counting all the rounds towards the team score total not just six which could take the need away for the team members to shoot every event.

Over to you

James

2. saddler

saddler Phil Gee

Club:
    Millride
    between 6 and 8 team members, do not have to shoot same equipment, 5 scores to count from each round, at least one score from each grade.

3. NJR 100

NJR 100 Because I`m AWESIME !!

Club:
    Avon Hawks, Tondu, Oaktree
    I would like to see the Club Team event return. Ie. team members from the same club.

Guess that can be run along any other team event as such?

However, i would like club teams to be small, 3 man teams, any grade.

thus there might be some good banter between "club" memebers / teams:)

4. TOOL

TOOL Independent FT Pumper

Humber Bridge , Barrow-on-Humber in Bomber County
    Club:
    EFTA England
    Team ????????????????

James,

I see you have titled it TEAM Championship ? Is this going to be a different format or still based on constructors ? i.e. Air Arms , Walther , Styer format ?

What i mean by a different format is emphasied in the word TEAM not neccessarily Constructors .

Something i though of was for example i work for Delta Engineering Group, could they possibly submit a team ? But by doing this it will not necessarily be comprised of shooters all using the same kit thus drifting away slightly from the constructors format.

Same goes for other teams that could be possibly sponsored in some way shape or form , possibly Ian Harford with his Real Tree connections or Berty having a Police team ?
    Larger teams is a good idea or again another idea i thought of was to incorporate a grade band for each team?
    i.e. Team of 6 shooters comprising of 2 x AA , 2 x A , 1 x B , 1 x C , all scores count ? Again you will probably never irradicate the use of the odd so called bandit or two but it will make it a tad more competitive rather than a team being made up of for example six top end AA shooters whole could potentially run away with it.

Hope this gets the thread rolling with ideas...................... but it needs to be kept to a simple format.

Still Living the Dream ........................ ish

Scott,

5. RobF

RobF Administrator Staff Member

Club:
    Parkstone Gun Club, South Dorset FTC, Southampton Buccaneers
    The team thing could open it up to clubs making teams... could just be teams of whatever...

6. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    how about this 1 for fort team cons of 9 shooters 3 from b,3 from a and 3 from aa, 6 out of 9 scores count,and trophies/ badges only given to shooters who hav shot more than 6 gp,s and shot the same gun all year,c grade could be a little hard due to new shooters coming into the sport,or teams from nefta,sefta bfta with the same format etc

Last edited: Oct 29, 2010
  7. NJR 100

Club:
    The trouble with having graded teams is at Gp comps, the majority of shooters are Aa and A, and then some of the C, B and A should not be in those classes, but in AA!

8. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

I'm glad this seems to have generated some interest.

I perhaps wasn't entirely clear, I was referring to the constructors teams however I don't see why there shouldn't be either a combined constructors/club/whatever team event or a separate club/small team event to run alongside the constructors.

The three man team event Chris Large ran a few years ago was very successfull so something like that might be good if someone is willing to organise it.

I do think that grades should be ignored completely, it complicates matters too much. We have enough problems selecting shooters for teams that are willing to travel to enough GPs without further restrictions. Remember these are competitions to find 'the best'

Whatever is done the Constructors theme I believe needs to stay as a way of linking the BFTA and FT with the manufacturers (which may possibly include, for example scope makers) which should benefit all even if it isn't always obvious.

This is complicated isn't it?:confused:

9. NJR 100

Club:
    I would be happy to organise the "Club" team competition for the Gp series. Take names, keep scores etc.

Might even be able to organise a Team trophy + Prize money ??

Quite agree with James on the 3 man team format, any grade but obviuosly mst be from the same club

I dont like points, I prefere targets hit. I would prefere the results done just on targets hit.

Something perhaps I will put together next week and have proposed at the BFTA meeting in November

10. RobF

Club:
    just turn up for the windless days then?

11. chrispro97

chrispro97 New Member

Club:
    purley chase ftc
    sywell mmmm lol

12. RobF

Club:
    i think if you opened it up to anything, as long as it was a common denominator, it would be fun... so you could have a regional team, a club team, a scope team, gun team, pub team... whatever... haven't worked out if you should be a member of just one or not... but perhaps as many as you like with a fee for each entry...

might be of interest to the sponsors as well... and perhaps seen as less worrying about entering by some makes perhaps, as the field would be spread... not that i've understood that idea, it's the taking part that counts... more the merrier in my book.

Reckon 3 is a little low, but hell, suppose you could have more than one heh...

13. IAN TAYLOR

IAN TAYLOR Member

Club:
    PONTEFRACT
    when a shooter makes there choice of rifle that should be there ticket to enter the constructors competition, So if some one buys an air arms shoots in Scotland but does not travel, When the GP comes Scotland if they shoot good enough to be one of the top six air arms owners they should be in the team for that day. This would make every body feel involved not just a few.
    Ian.

14. NJR 100

Club:
    You have lost me Rob?

15. RobF

Club:
    if it's done on targets, then if you turn up on a windless day you have an advantage over those that shot on a windy day...

16. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    Teams

I like the idea of adding more teams to the GP series. It does let more people get involved into the competitions then.

Id like the thought of say for instance myself shooting for air arms and being able to shoot for my club. 8 members per team and 4 scores count per comp. this would let people who could not make all the comps to not feel they need to be there. Just a thought......??

I also like the thought of having teams who are run by other sponsors as Rob said, such as scope manufacturers or clothing??

It is something that would need to be brought up to the BFTA at the next meeting. Now for great ideas like this to be brought up, I think it would be nice for lads such as JamesO to go to the meeting to put this forward. This is just my opinion, but the lads who have got alot of influence in the sport should put their ideas forward in the meetings.

Berty

17. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Team Old Skool? Basic premise is for older/classic rifles/scopes/combos? Just a thought? :)

18. JamesO

JamesO Active Member

Right as I hinted at in the opening post this is how I could see the constructors team event working.

Each team consisting of 12 or maybe 15 shooters.
    4 possibly 5 scores to count for the team score at each round.
    Points awarded for position at each round 10, 8, 6, 4, etc.
    9 rounds to count from 9 rounds.

The larger numbers should make team selection less of a headache and at the same time make the competition more competitive, it wouldn't rely on team shooters attending all the rounds because of the larger pool to draw from. For example you may have a really good shooter that can only make 3 shoots, but you could now include that shooter knowing you wouldn't be left short at other rounds.

I do not see why manufacturers teams shouldn't include the like of say Nikko Stirling, but obviously you can only shoot for one constructors team at a time. There would have to be a line drawn somewhere though, a team Butler Creek would be pushing it I think, team qualification criteria would need to be sorted out.

I also happen to think a club team event is a good idea but should be seperate to the constructors event.

over to you lot again

James

oh yes I haven't done any maths so I don't know if the above scoring system would be practical, sorry just being lazy.

19. NJR 100

Club:

20. berty177

berty177 Judge Diva

Club:
    Nelson FTC
    teams

I agree with James and Simon,

A club team set up would be good, there should be no limit on how many can be in the team as long as they are registered to that club. When we chatted james on Sunday we said that maybe 3 top scores to count as some clubs dont have enough to cater for 4 or more shooters at the GP's. Just thought this would make it fairer for more clubs to be involved.

How would the points system be run, would we look at from it from top 8 clubs by way of points being allocated as 10, 8, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1. That means the top 8 clubs at each round gets points. The clubs teams should be seperate to the constructors team set up in my opinion. Would we look at a single trophy/ plaque as the prize for the top club then at the end of the season.

At least alot more people would be involved in a team which would be nice for people.

Constructors teams should be looked at to add more, just so more people can be involved in the set up.

There is alot to look at here for this to be finalised. i have sent an email to Shaun Shore regarding some of the ideas I want brought up in the BFTA meeting, regarding teams, sitting positions etc.

See if we can get this sort of thing set up before the start of the 2011 season.

Berty