£520 budget - what to buy?

Discussion in 'Hunter (HFT) & Field Target (FT)' started by wayne509, Jan 22, 2011.

1. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Hi folks

Got myself set up for FT but now need to get my 13 year old a suitable set up.

He sold his s410 today so has about £525 all in to get himself another rifle and scope.

AA400 seems the obvious choice and that would leave a decent sum for a second hand scope like a targetmaster?? Or do we try to pick up a MPR and go for a cheaper scope.

I guess the question is..... if you were limited to a budget of £525 to get as good a FT set up as you can, what would you choose?

2. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    What

An S 400 Classic def secondhand .if funds are limited then maybe a zos . does the job . or how about a SightMark scope off E-bay . 10 to 40 by 56 . illum mil dot ret . lockable turrets . £ 225 delivered from the states ??? HOLLY PS to include Sun Shade and Mounts .

3. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Don't the ZOS scopes get real bad reports for falling to bits and milky optics? Never heard of Sightmark....... must go and google it :D

4. chris79

chris79 New Member

s/h s400 or s200

s/h falcon t35

5. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Would certainly go for the S400, reliable and accurate, as for the MPR basicly a S400 in a target stock, that can be possibly looked at later. Hopefully that should leave £250- £300 for scope, mounts, a seat and riflecase. Scopewise I would look at Hawke Sidewinder or Nikko Targetmaster, ideally up to 32mag. That way you can buy new and get a good few years out of them without taking the risks the second hand market sometimes poses. Also a top tip, a GOOD set of mounts! :)

6. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Dunno how he would get on with such a big fixed mag as he is used to shooting with a 6 - 24. I suppose he could get used to it though.

7. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Had a Zos a couple of years ago, yes it is milky but it rangefinds ok, the turrets click nicely and mine certainly hasnt fell to bits. Dont think however it would be a good policy to put one on a springer!

8. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Case problem hopefully sorted with a couple of the FT Monki Soft cases in the pipeline.
    Have a few sets of sportsmatch mounts here so hopefully have something suitable. I will treat him to a cushion so really just the rifle and scope to think about.

Nikko targetmaster was what i had in mind and a second hand 400. Might try to pick up a 400 with a hamster already fitted and if he really gets into it, look for a better stock at a later date.

Seems like this is the way to go.

Cheers guys

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  9. Suzukiphil

Suzukiphil Member

Club:
    Harriers FTC
    get a classic rather than the carbine, more shots (70 good ones) with a classic, I agree with willbe about scopes, 32 mag would be OK. I had a big zos on a 400 classic, 2 main problems, 1) they are heavy and makes the gun difficult to hold still, 2) I became convinced that the movement of the reticle when dialling was inconsistant. This meant that when you moved the turret from say a 30 yd target to a 45 yd one, and then back to 30 yds, the cross hairs didn't end up in the same place they start from! Difficult to prove, but that was what I felt, changing to a Nikko impoved my scores immediately

10. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Thanks for your input Phil. A classic action is what we had in mind ;)

11. holly

holly Well-Known Member

Club:
    carisbrooke rangers
    Classic

You get some good shots with the classic . ( never counted em ) but the first 40 are spot on power wise . you would not do better with regged rifle .plus very accurate . ??? HOLLY

12. ruipereira

ruipereira New Member

If you're interested in ZOS scopes i recommnend that you buy the 10-40x60mm model.
    It's litle bit more expensive but the optics are a litle bit better.

13. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Thanks for the advice but we will probably try to increase the budget a bit more and buy a better known and better rated scope.;)

14. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Looks like the rifle is now sorted. Have agreed to buy a 400 classic with rowan trigger, hamster, air stripper and adjustable butt pad so that should keep him happy but only leaves about £150 ish only for a scope.

Am I going to struggle to pic something up for that? Possibly stretch to £180 - Any suggestions???

15. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Big ask I know but was a 32x MTC viper on here, was going for £200.

16. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

Yeah I was wondering if that would be any good for range finding?
    Have enquired about a reduction in price :D

17. Willbe

Willbe I Like BIG Hats!

Club:
    Far Coley FTC
    Ones i've seen have been fine for the money and come with a 6" wheel, a fine scope to get into FT.

18. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

It's for my 13 year old lad so I'm pretty sure he will be over the moon with it.

Thanks for the pointers

19. Miss England

Miss England Mr. Kipling has nothing on me

Club:
    Southampton Buccaneers, South Dorset, Parkstone
    I have an AA S400 and I have found it to be a really solid and reliable gun even though it is not regulated. I am upgrading now and do not in any way profess to be knowledgable on the different guns but coming from someone who has plinked for years and only got into FT properly last year the S400 gave me a good grounding platform to learn. :)

20. wayne509

wayne509 New Member

I have used a few of the cheaper Air Arms lately and am absolutely amazed how accurate they are for the price. My lad had a 410 so I'm sure he will get on fine with the 400.
    Just need to use my bargaining skills on a scope for him now;)